James L. Pfeiffer
Former Judge of the New Jersey Superior Court
In Pennsylvania call 610-258-4003
In New Jersey call 908-454-7100
Jim is a founding member of Pfeiffer Bruno and has lived in the greater Lehigh Valley area for his entire life. Jim grew up in Alpha, NJ the son of an over the road owner operator truck driver and his mother a small town librarian and housewife. Being brought up in a hard working family with a self employed father played a significant part in developing Jim’s reputation as a compassionate, hard working, and aggressive trial lawyer representing severely injured people and families suffering the loss of a loved one in wrongful death cases. Jim’s working class background ensures that he understands the difficulties his injured clients and their families face while recovering from their injuries, being out of work or dealing with the loss of a loved one. Jim cares about the hardships his clients endure and is dedicated to insure that they are compensated to the full extent of the law.
Jim is honored by the fact that many fellow attorneys including previous adversaries regularly refer significant cases to him.
Areas of Practice
Jim has successfully won cases against large corporations, trucking companies, construction companies, hospitals, doctors, the State of New Jersey, towns, and school districts for negligent and harmful conduct resulting in injuries or death to his clients.
He has successfully represented victims of:
- Trucking accidents
- Auto accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Construction accidents
- Dangerous products
- Slip, trip and/or fall accidents
- Dog bites
- Pharmacy negligence
- Sexual harassment
- Worker’s Compensation
Jim routinely handles matters involving traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and disfiguring burns.
Jim graduated Cum Laude from Kutztown University in 1982 with a BS in Business Administration/Political Science. He earned his Juris Doctorate from Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School in 1986 with Dean’s List Honors. He passed the bar exam in both PA & NJ in 1986 and is licensed to practice law in both states. He is admitted to practice in Federal District Court for the District of New Jersey, Pennsylvania Federal District Court in Eastern and Middle Districts as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
In addition to his thirty (30) years plus in handling personal injury cases Jim has served as a municipal prosecutor through out Warren County, New Jersey prosecuting thousands of drunk and reckless drivers protecting the safety of all on our highways. He successfully prosecuted the owners of a vicious dog which brutally attacked, mauled, and severely injured a small child.
As a criminal defense attorney Jim has handled all types of criminal cases including complex capital murder cases. Two of Jim’s cases have been featured on television one on the FBI Files and the other on Dateline with Keith Morrison. The case of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania v. Patricia Rorrer in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, a capital murder case, remains the most expensive criminal case ever tried in Lehigh County. The Rorrer case was also the first time that Mitochondrial DNA was used in a Pennsylvania criminal prosecution. In that case Jim was successful in saving his client’s life from death penalty execution.
Jim has had the honor of making law in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey. In Pennsylvania he made law in the area of products liability in the case of Moroney v. Gen. Motors Corp., 2004 PA Super 104, 850 A.2d 629 (2004). In New Jersey he appeared before the New Jersey Supreme Court and made law in the employment field in the case of Shepard v. State of New Jersey, 174 N.J. 1 (2002). This is an important and often cited case on behalf of plaintiffs.
In 2005 Jim was chosen by the Governor of the State of New Jersey to serve as a Judge of the New Jersey Superior Court in Vicinage 13 which includes Warren, Hunterdon, and Somerset counties. At that time he was one of the youngest judges serving in New Jersey. Jim served as a Judge from 2005-2007 handling civil, criminal , and family matters. He left the bench in 2007 to return to private practice and his passion of representing injured people. Upon returning to private practice he along with his law partner Chuck formed the law firm of Pfeiffer Bruno.
Throughout his career Jim has recovered millions of dollars in awards for his clients. Jim was invited and became a life member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, “The Top Trial Lawyers in America.” This is an exclusive group of trial lawyers who have obtained jury verdicts or settlements for two (2) million dollars or more.
The following are just a few of Jim’s notable truck accidents, auto, construction, and other personal injury cases:
- $2,600,000 settlement for a man injured in a tractor trailer accident in New Jersey
- $2,200,000 jury verdict for a woman injured who was assaulted as a result of lack of security and defective door lock design in Pennsylvania
- $1,750,000 jury verdict for victims of racial discrimination in New Jersey
- $1,625,000 recovery for a woman injured at her work place in New Jersey
- $1,250,000 for wrongful death of a police officer killed in an auto accident in New Jersey
- $1,200,000 for man injured by a drunk driver in Pennsylvania
- $1,200,000 settlement for sexual harassment in Pennsylvania
- $975,000 settlement for pharmacy negligence/wrongful death
- $900,000 recovery for employment discrimination in Pennsylvania
- $600,000 for a man injured in a slip and fall at his work in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey Association for Justice
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- Warren County, New Jersey Bar Association – Civil Trial Committee
- Northampton County, Pennsylvania Bar Association – Civil Trial Committee
- Life Member – Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Life Member – Million Dollar Advocates Forum